DCU sweep aside IT Sligo with ease

It was a comprehensive win for DCU’s senior ladies in St. Clare’s against I.T Sligo. In what was a one-sided game it was DCU who dominated from the start, winning by 6-26 to 0-02.

DCU were by far the more physical and more skilful team. They were first to every ball, better with possession and ferocious in the tackle. It could be seen early on that they would have no trouble dispelling their counterparts from the west.

All the individual battles that went on around the pitch were won by DCU players. From one to 15 each player got the better of their marker and the substitutes that were introduced also made sure Sligo couldn’t even think of mounting a comeback.

DCU started the game at a ferocious pace. After winning the throw-in, a quick hand passing move ended up in the hands of half-forward Sarah Rowe who scored her first point of the night.

Aided by a strong wind in the first period, DCU pinned IT Sligo into their own half and it wasn’t long until DCU scored their first goal of the night. DCU’s persistent pressure and tackling payed off as they forced a turnover. A quick passing move ensued with Sarah Rowe finishing it off.

DCU got three further points without reply until IT Sligo registered their only score in the half. The strong wind helped a high ball into the DCU back line to drop into the hands of the IT Sligo corner-forward who took her score well.

DCU won a penalty after 15 minutes but it wasn’t converted and a point was scored on the rebound by Dublin player Siobhan Woods.

DCU soon put the game to bed as two quickfire goals ended any hopes IT Sligo had of coming up to Dublin and getting a result.

DCU didn’t switch off however as a certain goal chance for IT Sligo after 20 minutes was rooted out by the superb DCU Full back line led by Sligo’s Grainne O’ Loughlin. DCU finished the half strongly by registering 10 points in the final 10 minutes to go in with the score at 3-16 to 0-01 at the break.

IT Sligo, aided by a strong wind in the second half, would have hoped to have put some respectability on the scoreline but just a minute in Siobhan Woods crushed any belief left in the westerners as yet again a quick pass and move play resulted in a goal for DCU.

The second half, much like the first, was a non event. IT Sligo had all but given up and the DCU substitutes who were introduced all made their mark and pushed the scoreline up further. IT Sligo made it inside the DCU half a handful of times which stopped the second half from being an out and out whitewash.

With six minutes to go IT Sligo managed to convert a free to stave off the embarrassment of the hammering. The game then ended with another flurry of DCU scores as they saw it out comfortably.

Garrett Lavin

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

* Copy This Password *

* Type Or Paste Password Here *