Classy UCC crush DCU camogie dreams

DCU 1-9

UCC 1-15

UCC progressed to the Ashbourne Cup semi-final at the expense of DCU last Wednesday, with a ruthless shooting display the difference between the sides.

Despite the sunny conditions, temperatures plunged as low as 2 degrees and the freezing conditions took its toll on the players, with injuries and stoppages littering the 70 minutes of play.

UCC started the brighter of the two, firing three points without reply and dominating in the middle of the park.

A very physical display by midfielders Teresa Ní Riain and Jennifer Dé Bhora meant the Cork side continuously swept up the breaking ball and the DCU ladies were left to feed on scraps.

DCU were let off the hook after an early goal for UCC was ruled a square ball and the full back line seemed to tighten up after that.

The home side found it difficult to cope with Orla Ní Cronin in the full forward line, her pace forcing the full back line to play higher up the pitch, eliminating the threat of Cronin breaking into wide space.

DCU drew level after 20 minutes, a long ball gathered by Aoife Bulger was duly dispatched when the full forward dropped her shoulder and drove the ball into the top corner, leaving keeper Shauna Ní Cearuil no chance.

The goal made the score DCU 1-3 UCC 0-6, but the Cork side once again pulled away in the 25th minute, when Ciara Buchanan was left with no choice but to take down Ní Cronin.

Katrina Ní Mackaí was on hand to convert and restore a three point heading into the break.  

The Glasnevin side remained in touch at half time, with only two points the difference. This however was partly thanks to the five poor wides amassed by UCC in the first half.

Two quick fire points from Emer Reilly after the break brought the sides level and the home side looked in the ascendancy.

Just as the home side tried to build up any sort of rhythm, injuries and prolonged stoppages for treatment took the momentum out of DCU’s favour.

Instead, UCC were awarded a number of frees which they made no mistake slotting over. The Cork natives kept the score board ticking over and with 10 minutes to go, built up a four point lead.

The winning margin was increased in the dying minutes, UCC looked an organised outfit and one which looks destined for success in the semi-final.

Cian Roche

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

* Copy This Password *

* Type Or Paste Password Here *