DCU beaten in battle of brothers

DCU never really threatened St. Pat's in Drumcondra. Credit: David Clarke

St. Patrick’s 2-22 DCU 1-17

DCU were thoroughly beaten by St. Patrick’s College in round three of the Fitzgibbon League in Drumcondra yesterday, in a local derby that saw brothers Niall and Eoin McIntyre go head to head.

It was DCU, though, who started the better, racing into a four-point lead. Captain Killian Fitzgerald fired over an early point, while Peter Hogan found the back of the hosts’ net. After collecting the ball on the 45-metre line, Hogan turned his man, raced towards goal and smashed home straight off the hurl.

St. Pat’s began to settle after a brace of points from Patrick Curran, although these were quickly cancelled out by efforts from his brother Cathal and the aforementioned Fitzgerald. Both sides enjoyed spells of dominance during the first half, though it was DCU who shaded a tight opening, as they led by 1-12 to 0-13 at the interval.

While the first half may have been a tit-for-tat contest, the early exchanges of the second half were anything but, as St. Pat’s took complete control. Jack Bruton weaved his way through the heart of the DCU defence and laid the ball off to Patrick Curran, who dispatched to the roof of the net, much to the delight of the home crowd.

Things got even better for the home side, when Eoin McIntyre evaded his marker and slammed home in the 34th minute, giving Darren Ranihan in the DCU goal no chance. It could have beem even worse for DCU a minute later, but for a truly wonderful save from Ranihan, diving low to his right hand side, this time getting the better of the ever-dangerous Mcintyre.

This turned out to be the key stage of the contest, with DCU being outscored by 2-4 to 0-2 in the opening ten minutes of the second half. With 20 minutes of the contest left to play, DCU trailed by 2-17 to 1-14.

DCU needed a goal to get back into the contest but in truth the chances never truly materialised. Hogan fizzed a shot towards goal, although it was comfortably snuffed out by Paul Simms.

DCU battled gamely to the finish through Cathal Curran who raised three white flags. However, substitute Colm Morris dispatched two long range points, while the excellent Michael Collins picked off his fifth point from play to ensure that there would be no nervy finish to proceedings.

Nick Weir will have to rally his DCU charges for the final round of the league as they face NUI Maynooth. Peter Sutton’s St. Patrick’s have the possibility of progressing to the knock out stages, depending on results elsewhere.

DCU: D. Ranihan; M. Heeney, E. O’Donnell, J. Tyrell; P. O’Dea, T. French, B. Furlong; K. Fitzgerald (0-5), M. Daly(0-1); D. Barden (0-1), D. Staunton (0-1), E. McHugh (0-1); P. Hogan (1-0), C. Curran (0-7(4f)), N O’Connor. Subs Used: N. McIntyre for B. Furlong, G. Howard for N. O’Connor.

St. Patrick’s: P. Simms; D. Egan, C. Shaw, G. Downes; J. Barún, P. Spellacy, J. McGrath; N. Mullins, P. Walshe; W. Murphy, M. Collins(0-5), B. Hanlon; E. McIntyre(1-2), P. Curran(1-1{11f}), J. Bruton. Subs Used: F. Curran(0-1) for B. Hanlon, C. Morris(0-2) for W. Murphy.

Paddy Lynch

Picture credit:

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

* Copy This Password *

* Type Or Paste Password Here *