Christmas is barely over before you have to start spending again on Valentine’s Day presents. At this time of the year, students are struggling with funds so expensive gifts aren’t really on the cards. So why not create your gift this year by baking for your significant other?
Here is a recipe for red velvet cupcakes that are so delicious, it will put a smile on anyone’s face. They can be decorated whatever way you choose, with buttercream, vanilla or chocolate icing, or the traditional topping for red velvet: cream cheese frosting. Chocolate sprinkles are also a nice finishing touch.
- 30g cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons red food colouring
- 1½ tsps vanilla extract
- 110g margarine
- 170g caster sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 240mls buttermilk
- 250g plain flour
- 1 tsp bread soda
- Preheat oven to 180˚C. Line a cupcake tin with bun cases.
- Put the cocoa, food colouring and vanilla in a small bowl and mix well.
- Put the butter and sugar in a large bowl and mix until creamy. Add egg yolks and mix again.
- Add the cocoa mixture and mix again.
- Slowly pour the buttermilk in and mix.
- Sift in the flour and bread soda and fold it into the mixture.
- Fill each bun case and bake for 15 minutes (or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean).
- Allow to cool on a wire rack for half an hour, before decorating with icing or buttercream.
Image credit: Aoibheann Diver