A Marble Cake is essentially a brightly-coloured Madeira Cake. You can add whatever colours and flavours you wish: chocolate, orange, mint, vanilla or strawberry. It’s funky, delicious and impossible to say no to.
175g caster sugar
175g plain flour
50g self-raising flour
2 tablespoons milk
Food colouring/vanilla essence/cocoa & hot water
- Preheat oven to 180˚C.
- Prepare a deep seven inch round cake tin with greaseproof paper.
- Mix the caster sugar and margarine in a bowl.
- Add the eggs and mix again.
- Sieve in the flour and fold into mixture. Add the milk and mix again.
- Separate the mixture into small bowls. To each bowl, add a different food colouring, or the vanilla, or the hot cocoa mixture.
- Place alternative tablespoons of each mixture into the tin but do not mix them together.
- Bake in the oven for one and a quarter hours.
- Turn out onto a wire tray and allow to cool before eating.