There is nothing quite as satisfying as a chocolate cake and this tangy orange twist gives an alternative yet tasty kick.
175g caster sugar
175g self-raising flour
2 tablespoons of cocoa powder
2 tablespoons of boiling water
- Preheat oven to 180˚C.
- Mix cocoa powder and boiling water together and leave aside to cool.
- Mix butter and sugar together until creamy.
- Add the eggs and mix again.
- Sieve the flour and fold into the mixture.
- Pour in the cocoa mixture and blend until the mixture is light brown and creamy.
- Split the mixture between two small cake tins and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Allow the cake to cool on a wire rack before decorating.
- Mix some butter, icing sugar and a few drops of orange flavouring together to make the icing.
- Spread between the cake halves and on top before decorating with pieces of chocolate.
Image and video credit: Aoibheann Diver