Second-half display eases DCU into Fitzgibbon quarter-finals

Conor McKenna

DCU 0-23 Cork IT 0-12

DCU senior hurlers claimed an eleven point victory over Cork Institute of Technology, played out in DCU Sports Campus on Thursday.

DCU were very strong in the second half and Eoin Roche’s charges possess some serious talent, with progression to the knockout stages secured after this result.

CIT’s Josh Beausang opened the scoring with a free in the early stages, which was cancelled out by James Bergin’s place ball effort.

Paudie Foley gave DCU the lead for the first time with a long range free in the fourth minute, before Josh Beausong levelled procedures.

A further free from Foley restored his sides advantage but the visitors added four points in succession to claim a 0-6 to 0-3 lead which was fully deserved.

DCU responded with three points of their own to level the game but CIT were dominant for large parts of the first half and Beausang registered two further frees to give his side a two point lead with 20 minutes played.

The home side pushed on before the interval and held a 0-11 to 0-9 lead at half time which was just about deserved.

DCU were excellent in the second half and scored seven points in succession after CIT had opened the second half scoring and the Dublin college were not going to be defeated from this point onwards.

DCU held out for an eleven point victory and this side will have genuine reason to feel they can go onto win the competition, having fallen at the final hurdle in 2018.

DCU: Oisin FoleyPaddy SmythEoghan O’Donnell, John Curran; Paudie Foley  (0-4, 4f), Conor Delaney, Chris Crummy (0-1); Aaron Maddock, Rian McBride (0-2); Donal Burke (0-1), Killian Doyle (0-6, 2f), Fergal Whitely (0-1); Sean Morrissey (0-2), John Donnelly, James Bergin (0-4, 4f).

Subs: Damien Reck (0-2) for Maddock (23), Darren Byrne for O’Donnell (h-t), Conor Firman for Smyth (h-t), Rory O’Connor for Donnelly (36).

Cork IT: Patrick Collins (0-1, 1f); Eoin Healy, Daragh Fanning, Kevin Galvin; Daniel Harrington, Enda Heffernan, Conor Prunty; John Good (0-1), David Noonan; Brian Everard (0-1), John Cooper, Shane Cummins (0-2); Josh Beausang (0-5, 5f), Joe Connolly, Eoin O’Shea (0-1).

Subs: Paul Geary for O’Shea (40), Andrew Coffey (0-1) for Beausang (40), Ryan Walsh for Connolly (40), William Hurley for Good (47), Niall Fives for Noonan (54).

Referee: Alan Kelly (Galway).

Conor McKenna

Image Credit: Piaras Ó Mídheach / Sportsfile.