Soccer side end home opener with a draw to TUD

Mark Brien

DCU were held to a 1-1 draw against TUD on Wednesday afternoon in a game of missed opportunities for both teams, goals coming in the second half from DCUs Paddy Kelly and TUDs Aaron Dobbs.

TUD started the game off brightly, enjoying plenty of possession and putting in some strong physical tackles on a nervy looking DCU midfield.

DCU began to settle into the game after the first 15 minutes and played high pressing football until TUD threatened with the first real chance of the game.

Caught on the counter-attack after a great tackle from Flavio Marku, Seán McCarthy split the DCU defence with a wonderful through ball, James O’Sullivan was unlucky to pull the ball just left of the goal.

TUD centre-backs had a lot of work to do for the remainder of the half, DCUs full-backs Adam Duffy and Tristian Hoffman making wide runs and delivering threatening crosses.

After a goalless first half it was DCU that came out with a purpose in the second half. The passing in midfield was considerably better and Flavio Marku was at his best to keep DCUs Dylan Fagan from scoring on multiple occasions.

After an hour, DCU finally managed to break the dead-lock. A great delivery from a corner by Hoffman was let fall to Kelly on the six yard line, he buried the ball into the bottom right hand corner from close range.

DCU also had a penalty claim waved away a few minutes later as Seán McCarthy was bundled over in the box after a great ball in from Dylan Clancey.

TUD picked up the pace in search of an equaliser and were rewarded for their good football 20 minutes from the final whistle.

Adam Byrne made a great run down the right hand side and fired in a low cross, taking the keeper out of the game and leaving Aaron Dobbs with a simple tap in from 3 yards.

Both teams were in search of a winner, TUD coming close straight after their equaliser with Jordi Ebanda smashing the ball off the crossbar from 12 yards with the goal at his mercy.

DCU had their own good spell however, their closest effort for a winner coming from Daniel Cribbon five minutes from time after a great corner kick by Hoffman. The ball was delivered to the penalty spot and was met at pace with a wonderful header that went just over the bar.

After the game ended in a score-draw DCU head coach, Johnny McDonnell, said he was delighted for the players because, ’they left everything on the pitch’ and he was ‘delighted to get a result out of the game’.

Shane Brennan added to the Reporting of this story.

Mark Brien 

Image Credit: Fran Butler