Defeat at Trinity Park leaves DCU soccer unvictorious in three games

Mark Brien

DCU suffered a 4–0 defeat to Trinity College Dublin on Tuesday afternoon in Trinity College Park with the home side’s Niall Barr bagging a brace.

Trinity established their dominance straight from kick-off, scoring after just five minutes of play.

High pressing on the DCU defence won Trinity an early corner, which was delivered to the near post by James Woods and met with a header by Niall Barr to open the scoring.

Trinity came very close to a second goal almost straight after the restart with a fantastic effort from 25 yards by Dylan Connolly, only for Conor O’Hanlon to make a great save and push the ball out of danger.

The home side didn’t let up their early high intensity football, however, and took full advantage of a poor DCU midfield display to score their second goal 20 minutes into the game.

Stephen Doran won the ball for Trinity from a DCU throw-in in the home sides half and released Jason Boateng through the middle of the park. Boateng played a great ball over the DCU centre halves to Darragh McGrele, who lobbed the onrushing O’Hanlon to make it 2-0.

DCU struggled to get a foothold in the game, Trinity putting on a great defensive display off the ball and great interplay across their strong midfield ensured that they remained threatening.

The overall mood went from bad to worse for DCU at the break, as goalkeeper O’Hanlon picked up an injury forcing centre-mid Diarmuid Sexton to become a stand-in keeper.

Despite the injury setback, DCU began the second half much brighter with better play in midfield and looked to be finally settling into the game, their first real chance coming from a good effort just outside the box on the half-turn from Aaron Connolly.

DCU, now playing with purpose, came close to pulling one back with 20 minutes left, when Dylan Fagan lost control of the ball on the edge of the box and lost possession. 

However, Trinity all but killed the game off 15 minutes from time with Barr scoring his second goal of the game. 

High pressing on the DCU defence led to a corner, which was delivered deep to the far post by Dylan Connolly.

The cross was controlled by Peter Healy who delivered the ball to the edge of the six-yard box leaving Barr with a free header to finish into the top corner.

TCD finished the game off confidently and earned themselves a fourth goal with five minutes left on the clock, an excellent low cross from the right side by Woods left substitute Chris McFadden with an easy finish to the bottom right corner.

Another excellent delivery by Woods from a corner in the last minute nearly added a fifth goal but Killian Doyle headed just wide of the target.

The game finished 4-0 and left DCU without a win after their first three games.

Mark Brien 

Image Credit: Fran Butler