RTE have announced that “The 2 Johnnies” radio show will return to 2fm on the 14 March in
a statement released on Monday.
The show was taken off air last week following the controversy surrounding comments they
had made in a video posted to social media from “The 2 Johnnies” podcast.
The clip featured the paid discussing crude car bumper stickers sent in by listeners which
included derogatory and offensive comments towards women.
“We reviewed the content and found that our social media guidelines were breached. We
took this very seriously. So seriously that The 2 Johnnies were taken off air,” said Dan Healy,
Head of RTÉ 2fm.
“They have apologised, and we’ve been talking since about where we go from here. They
are aware of the standards we expect and are absolutely committed to upholding them.
The video was removed from social media and the duo released a statement apologising for
“We would like to apologise for the content which appeared on our social media, these posts
were offensive and should never have been published.
“This is not who we are nor what we stand for. We aim to do better in the future, we are not
perfect and we are learning all the time,” they said.
John O’Brien and John McMahon, the presenters behind “The 2 Johnnies,” also issued a
statement following the reinstatement of their “Drive It” radio segment on 2fm.
“On the back of what was a very intense week and having issued an apology and
clarification of the events which occurred, we are extremely excited about returning to our
daily drivetime show.
“We had a great welcome at 2fm last week and are eager to work with Dan and the 2fm
family again, acknowledging the lessons we’ve learned and committing to put these into
“We are determined to create a successful radio show and work with everyone in 2fm to
show the nation the best of us. We would like to thank 2fm for working through this with us,”
Image credit: The Irish Independent